WHO ARE WE?
We are looking to recruit the best of the best programmers from Monash University to represent our institution in regional and international events. The Monash Programming Team is part of an international event that pits the top universities in the world against one another. You will be given a set of real-world problems and will attempt to solve as many as you can in 3-5 hours. The contest will test your algorithmic skills, teamwork and creativity.
We hold a series of programming contests both within our own institution as well as competing against other universities. These competitions normally come along with substantial prizes: including cash and all-inclusive trips (both within Australia and around the world).
WHAT TYPES OF EVENTS DO WE HOLD?
There are many programming contests held around the world. Our goal is to attend and compete at as many of them as possible. For example:
We have also hosted local competitions with some pretty substantial prizes.
- Victoria Collegiate Programming Contest
- Monash Collegiate Programming Contest
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US?
- IT IS FUN! Ask anyone who has done these contests -- they are addicting and fun.
- Employment: The ICPC is sponsored by IBM. Each year, they take students who performed well in the contest and offer them positions.
- Employment (again): Even if you are not given a job offer from IBM, most computer companies will ask questions that are laid out in a similar format as programming contest questions. In fact, they are often exactly programming contest questions.
- Love of Problem Solving: The problems that you will see are posed as real-world problems, and often will mask the underlying question. You will need to use many ideas that you have learned in your courses plus other tricks you will learn to solve many of the problems.
- Better Grades: When you learn about an algorithm in a course, you will understand the idea behind it. But it is a completely different beast to actually implement the algorithm quickly and efficiently. Do you know how to modify algorithms? The programming contest will help with these skills.